Twitter

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

I needed something to make me accountable to Lent this year.  So often, I will start out with the best of intentions and let it slip away from me.  I know that I'm not giving up Diet Coke or sweets.
I discovered this devotion from Facebook by Pastor Phil Ressler at the Lutheran Church of Good Shepherd in Old Bridge, NJ.  They have a devotion that can be emailed to you every day for 40 days til Easter. I know that I can't post every day, but I will do my best.

Day 1
Fear of Failure
Scripture- please excuse that I have a mix of translations.
Psalm 23: 1-6  The Lord in my shepherd.  He renews my strength
Matthew 28: 19-20- Make disciples of all nations- teach disciples to obey all commands.  I am with you always.
John 14: 16-17  God will give you an advocate, the Holy Spirit
Joshua 1:9  This is my command- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go
Romans 8:18  Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory He will reveal to us later

There is  a reflection question section:
What is your favorite part of Lent?
I like focusing on studying Jesus and the solemn preparation of Easter.

What are you afraid to start?
That I will quit the devotion due to the busyness of my life

If you took a step of faith, what fears would you need to set aside?
I would need to realize that God is in charge, not me.  I need to case my worry aside.

How does Jesus help you overcome those fears?
I'm constantly reminded of God.  God is available 24/7.

How will you pursue the presence of God this Lent to overcome fear?
I need to study the scripture in a regular fashion.  I need to do my best to stay committed to this devotion.

Plan of Action:
Confront a Fear in Writing
I have a fear of losing my loved ones even though this has happened to my parents.  I know it is God's time, not mine.
I have a fear of the unknown.  In other words, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I saw this picture the other day
FEAR
Face Everything and Rise



No comments:

Post a Comment