Twitter

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Another school year in the books

I'm not one to count days, hours, minutes until the end of a school year.  I really try to embrace each day as it comes.  It did dawn on me today that the end is nearing ready or not.  There is nothing like the first month of a school year and certainly nothing like the last month.  No matter how I try to prepare for the onslaught of May, it just takes me by storm.  Before the  school year slipped away from me, I wanted to capture a few things.  R1 will be graduating from middle school and entering high school in the fall.  REALLY?  I remember taking him to Mother's Morning Out and now he's getting ready for high school.  His kindergarten teacher said he was part of the dream team and I agree.
Here is a typical school day in Shell blog a lot's life:
5:30 to 5:50- the Iphone xylophone alarm blasts me to life each morning.  The time varies depending on if I have to wash my hair or if I just want to catch more zzzzzz's.  Mark continues to sleep.  I've spoiled my boys and usually 3 out of 5 mornings, I make muffins for breakfast.  They are in unison that the banana nut are their favorite.  If I have fresh blueberries, I like to add it to the jiffy blueberry mix.  Tomorrow I am going to try orange cranberry muffins.

6am- R2 joins me for breakfast.  We joke that it is silent breakfast because neither one of us is too talkative. I have the Hampton radio station on to keep us abreast on the latest happenings in the county.  The music leaves a lot to be desired, but it is usually the news.
6:30- wake up R1 and Mark usually wakes up.  I start the beautification process by getting a shower.

7:00- tell Mark goodbye, see what Natalie, Matt, Ann and Al are wearing on the Today Show and catch a few headlines.

7:05- in the car heading out with R/R to the middle school.  Traffic can be interesting.  I vary the route because there isn't an easy way to get there. Music selections vary.  We did rock out to Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar the other morning.  They were shocked I knew the words.

7:15- arrive at my school and the day begins


3:05- bell rings.  R/R are brought to the high school via bus.  Mrs. Shands is their bus driver.  She is the best of the best!  R/R get a snack out of my secret snack drawer. I get a brief synopsis of the day. Depending on the sport season, one or both with change clothes and head to their respective sport practice.  Me-- it could be a meeting or working on stuff in my room.
5 to 5:30- head home.  Start the "what's for dinner" game.  Some days I do a better job of planning.  In May, it is whatever can be put on the table.  The boys get their showers and start homework.
6 to 6:30- dinner- we had grilled squash
7:00- guilty pleasure:  television.  We usually watch Jeopardy, Big Bang Theory, Top Gear, How I Met Your Mother, Community, and Everyone Hates Chris on regular TV or the DVR.  Rochelle from Everyone Hates Chris is my favorite TV mom.  I often tell the boys: "see, Rochelle made her kids do (fill in the blank)".
    
8:00- laundry, play catch up around the house
10:00- bedtime.  I usually read and watch the 10 pm news on the Fox station.

It is not an incredibly exciting day- but that is what I love so much.  I love routine.  I know these days are precious and I don't take them for granted.  When R2 was born, he spent a few weeks in the NICU.  Those were sad, sad, sad days of the unknown.  I promised myself that when we got out of there, all that mattered was that the four of us would be together under one roof.  I haven't forgotten it!

No comments:

Post a Comment