Twitter

Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Favorite Spaghetti Sauce

This summer will be my 20th wedding anniversary.  20 years?  I really don't know where the time has gone.  To say I didn't know how to cook as a newlywed is an understatement!  With a lot of trial and error, I have become a decent cook.  In1992, I would pick up Southern Living and think the recipes were too complicated.  Let me introduce you to the cookbook that is my go-to cookbook all the time.
My college friend Meredith (more about her in a minute) told me about his cookbook.  I purchased one as soon as I could find a copy (this was pre-Internet era).  These recipes made sense and did not seem overly complicated.  20 years later- I still use it all the time.
One of our favorites is the spaghetti sauce.  I did not like all the sugar taste in Prego and Ragu.  It is a recipe that takes at least 6 hours to simmer so it is a good one for a Saturday afternoon.  It makes 10-12 servings so I usually freeze half of it.  The boys also love the sauce for chicken parmesan.  I've made it on the stove and in the crock pot.

Spaghetti Sauce


2lbs lean ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
2 cups chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 t salt
2 packets of Splenda
1- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
1- 28 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 T oregano
3 whole bay leaves
1- 15 oz tomato sauce
1- 8oz tomato paste ( I can never find 8oz can so I use 6oz)


In a large 8 quart covered pot, brown the sausage and ground beef with onion, celery and bell pepper.  Drain off grease.  Add all other ingredients except tomato paste, cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally.  Cook all day or at least 6 hours.  Just before serving add tomato paste and stir to thicken.  Check for salt and add more if needed ( I don't add the salt).  Serve over hot cooked noodles.  Serves 10-12.


Back to Meredith- one of my near and dear friends.  I thank her for the cookbook advice.  We met at Columbia College in Dr. O'Neal's English 101 class in Fleming Hall  in August 1987 (which has now been bulldozed or

heavily renovated).

Meredith and I sat next to each other.  Across the room sat Christy and Beth.  Meredith graduated from Irmo High School.  Christy and Beth were graduates of Richland Northeast.  I had never known anyone from high schools sooooo big.  I feared that I wouldn't know as much as they did. We went to typing rooms for our papers.  We made fun of one girl on our dorm hall that had a "computer and loud printer". Most college bound high school students take English 101 in high school.   Meredith thought I was an equestrian which just cracks me up.


From English 101 to 2012, we have been friends for a long time. We talk often and see each other when we can.  She talked me into Facebook even when I told her it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of!  I told her about Pinterest.  We were in each other's weddings.  She was by my side when my mom died.
In July of 2010, we made a trip to NYC.  We took this picture on top of Rockefeller Center and ate cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery.
 Columbia College gave me lasting friendships that are invaluable (more about the rest of the gang coming soon).  Lots of laughs and wonderful memories~

Shell Blog-a- Lot
P.S.  I found my phone- it was indeed left on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment