Twitter

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Are you Ready, Ready for this Post?

Coach Ken Carter

The movie came out in 2005.  I missed it and I don't know how because I like movies like that.
I recently attended a conference in Greenville  http://www.greenvillesc.gov/.  It was a great conference.  One of the featured speakers was Coach Ken Carter.  
Here is the link to the movie on IMDB  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393162/?ref_=sr_1&licb=0.963996946811676  Samuel L. Jackson played Coach Carter in the movie.

I love passionate people and Coach Carter definitely is one.  I took a few notes while he talked. I'm sure a missed a few gems, but I caught as many as I could.


  • Validate your ability to be successful
  • GOT TO WRITE THINGS DOWN
  • Gotta get it done
  • Ready, Ready!
  • Average isn't good enough, period
  • broke vs. poor.  It is ok to be broke, it is not ok to be poor
  • Add value to the family name
  • Life:  you got to live it
  • JOB- is it "jumping out of bed" or "just over broke"
  • You only miss practice because you died
  • If a kid wears his hat backwards, then I will talk to the back of his head
  • We all go through "personal winters"
  • We play offense because it is a scoreboard not a rebound board
  • Tore up from the floor up
  • Change one kid and you change a family
  • Haters are misdirected fans
  • Acting up means to put me in the game
  • Rise as a team
  • It begins on the street.  It ends here.
  • What is my legacy going to be?
  • Run east and you will never see a sunset
  • Team will take the personality of the leader
  • Opportunity will knock but won't pick a lock
  • Everyone lives a movie, who will play you?
  • Love all but like some more better than others
  • Nothing like a praying mom
  • Gotta get in people's faces
  • Life delivers what you deserve, not what you need.
  • Not you?  Then who?
  • You want to inspire vs. motivate.  You want DISCIPLINE
  • Advertise to your students:  If you are not in my class, you are missing something.
  • Just cause you think you deserve it doesn't mean they are going to give it to you.
  • What I see you can be!

Coach Carter and Me



This is one of my favorite parts of the movie (during the lockout)



What I took out of it:  I need to write things down, figure out my deepest fear, look out for personal winters, figure out my legacy, and find an actress to play me in my life movie.  
I know the actresses would be fighting over who would get the job, but maybe it could be narrowed down to:
Anne Hathaway?

Tina Fey?


Katie Holmes?
I will have to get back to you on that one.
Coach Carter was one of the reasons that made Greenville a memorable, enjoyable conference.  It was probably the best conference I have ever attended- I didn't want to leave which rarely happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment