Twitter

Saturday, July 6, 2013

How I am Going to Avoid Writer's Block

Hobbies?  One time I had a student's parent ask me what my hobbies were?  Not a typical question and it caught me off guard.  Hobbies?  Duh.  Being a teacher? Does being a mom count as a hobby?  I don't think so.  Somehow, I had let the years slip by and realized I didn't have any hobbies.  Hobbies meant putting time aside to do something for myself.  Time is always a premium in a busy household.  I can't say on that particular day I started pursuing hobbies again, but it did give me food for thought.
What are my hobbies?  I discovered that I really enjoy cooking/baking. With basic equipment-- my mixer, Cutco knives, and great bowls-- I've learned to make cooking fun.  Sunday dinner is a staple, more or less a tradition that I made sure was going to happen. The rest of the days, I plan out the meals.  I rarely get complaints from the family.  My biggest challenge is trying to remember who likes tomatoes and who doesn't.
I discovered another hobby I like is walking and/or jogging.  I may not feel like going, but I always feel better when I get back.  And, that includes these dog days of summer with yucky humidity.  Exercise really helped clear my mind last school year.  My walking/jogging buddy Kari and I rarely missed a day, even  when temps went in to the 20's.  Maybe we were crazy?  The jury is still out on that one.  We do get those rare spring/fall days that are perfect exercise days.
Now to the point of this post... I discovered that I like to write.  I had to write a lot in a graduate course a couple of years ago.  It awakened a part of me that had been hiding.  I always thought writing as something like an assignment.  I figured the grammar, spelling, mechanics had to be perfect.  Then, I discovered, I need to write whether it makes sense or not-- it is cathartic on so many levels.  I need to make the time to write.
I sometimes write rambling long posts and need to find a way to keep it more focused.
So, in my moments of clarity I thought of Instagram!  Instagram always has daily photo challenges-- so I quickly found some online photo challenges and I am going to make them my own.  Not really original, but it gives me some starting points.  And, when the boys want to confirm that I was crazy... now they have proof!

Do I start with Day 6 or Day 1?


Today is July 6th, so logically I should start with Day 6.... but I'm going to throw logic out the window and start with whatever strikes me.  I like the gratitude idea.  Now, should I start a new post or start here?  I'm going with a new post!  Before I leave this one...I need to give Mrs. Mary Ann Rowell a shout out.  Mrs. Rowel was my 12th grade typing teacher.  She taught me how to type on a manual typewriter.  That makes me sound like I am 90 years old!  Mrs. Rowel covered those keys up and still don't look at the keyboard to this day.  I had also had 6 years of piano lessons which probably helped me ease into typing.  In college, I worked in the education department.  One of my work study assignments was to type the manuscript of a professors book he was working on.  Type, type, type-- that is one think I can do efficiently!  Current students will ask how I can type and look at them at the same time.






No comments:

Post a Comment